Thursday 12 November 2009

Reader's answers!

I've been chatting with Alistair Darling.. well.. actually I couldn't get through. But if I had, I imagine he would have said:

"I'm a busy man, Cap, just make something up and pretend I said it. You know my thoughts better than me anyway! eh?! :)"

You're the boss, Ali!

So, Mr. Darling. What do you think about banker's bonuses?

"
Well, the first thing to say is: its nice to be nice. I think its nice to be nice, and a lot of people think its nice that I think that. It's nice for me to know that.

When we get down to it, we should be nice to bankers. If they really have done their job well they'll get their reward in the next life.. or punishment! God forbid..

I really don't think we can run around killing bankers indiscriminately, and saying "God will know his own". That would be a return to Old Politics, and the old divisions between left and right. We're entering a new century with a new emphasis on consensus and understanding. Let's not punish bankers for their so-called misdeeds.. let's be nice to them. I guarantee everything will work itself out.
"


Interesting point, Alistair. I certainly agree that we can't go round indiscriminately murdering bankers. That would be the thin end of the wedge. Perhaps we could just increase income tax by a few percent.. damn the Laffer curve! Live dangerously!

7 comments:

  1. What this all boils down to is a fundamental mispricing of risk. You've underestimated the risk that I'll become filthy rich! Arf Arf!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So now the bankers are getting their bonuses as reward for their abject failures?! Oh ho ho! This really takes the biscuit!

    ReplyDelete
  3. bankers should be free to do as they wish, free market libertarianism! free market!

    and also learn to use a calender, its almost 2010.

    thought of the day.
    ban free health care, its what Jesus would have wanted.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mr. Clive Cricket12 November 2009 at 22:39

    It seems like Darling is batting on a sticky wicket with this one. He's been hit for six! If he's not lucky it'll be rain stops play as far as the Labour government is concerned.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looking for man 35-40 with substantional personal fortune. G.S.O.H. Must be willing to travel.

    I can provide my own board and peices.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes, very amusing, you crazy cat.

    But I wasn't refering to you in my 'Be under no illusions' post.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Strange, I had assumed it was. All part of my left wing-paranoid outlook on life, no doubt.

    ReplyDelete