Monday 9 November 2009

Berlin remembers the Berlin Wall (and that it was a wall in Berlin)

Most people in Berlin had forgotten about the Berlin wall, but there was one man who was brave enough to remember it.
"Chaps, do you recall the wall that used to encircle half of Berlin?" he said
"Oh yeah.. that was weird.. what the fuck was all that about? I thought that was a fucking dream or something.. why the fuck was there a wall there? fucking hell.. weird!" the Germans said.

Anyway, now they're having a big party to celebrate the fact they've all remembered it. This is typical German hyperbole. I don't dance up the street naked shouting "Eureka" every time I find my reading glasses. But the average German would - and that's why we won the war.

2 comments:

  1. The average German.10 November 2009 at 14:47

    I have a bed, but do not sleep. I have a mouth, but do not speak. What am I?



    ..



    I am a Dutchman!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm a very old man. You probably don't remember, but early in the 20th Century everyone loved the Germans. Kaiser Wilhelm, and Willi Brambt were treated like heroes - and the feeling was mutual. The Hun loved British music hall stars: David Bowie, Hasselhoff, and all the rest.

    Of course, all this mutual respect and admiration came to a swift end during the Wirtschaftswunder of the 1950's and 60's. How did we let it go so wrong?

    ReplyDelete