Thursday 11 June 2009

the Twenty20 World Cup

So the 20 20 Wold Cup is up and running.. what the devil? Switch hits, slog sweeps, reverse reverse sweeps, sixes out the stadium.. Everything we were told about cricket is a lie! An unplayable ball from Brett Lee transpires to be a simple edge over the boundary ropes.
Trundling bowlers like Luke Wright are geniuses of the game. Its hard to hit boundaries off spinners, and hitting along the ground is for morons.

Thankfully I achieved neither of my twin ambitions: playing for Kent, or dieing young. Imagine it! I'd be spinning in my grave!

I console myself that, like Christmas, its all a bit of fun; no matter how strange and terrifying this tournament is, when its over we can forget about it for another two years - enjoying a nice relaxing Ashes.

2 comments:

  1. Mr. Clive Cricket11 June 2009 at 16:19

    Power! Youth! Vigour!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm a very old man.

    Hard to believe, but in my day there was no time limit in cricket matches. Teams would bat and bat, for innings after innings. Generally matches would end with the eventually death or bankrupcy of one of the players - handing victory to their opponents by default.

    As for the female cricket players playing these days: I'd love to get my hands on one of them!

    ReplyDelete